As we all know, the battery is one of the most important accessories in electric bicycles. We have written an article about the battery maintenance of electric bicycles in detail before. If you are interested, you can click this article for details: 6 Tips For E-Bike Battery Health
The battery's choice is crucial since it affects the weight, style, and range of the bike. Electric bikes are powered by batteries. Almost all batteries available on the market fall into one of two categories:
Sealed Lead Acid (SLA)
Until recently, these were the standard batteries for most electric scooters and electric bicycles. Electric scooters still most often use SLA batteries, while electric bikes (which require human input) use newer battery technologies to keep them as light as possible.
- Heavy and bulky
- Offer a shorter riding range
- Shorter life span of about 100-300 full cycle charges
- Require more maintenance, and need to be charged immediately after use
This type of battery is the latest technology. The life of lithium batteries is about 2-3 times that of SLA batteries. Lithium batteries are lighter and require little maintenance. Now Hovsco's electric bicycles all use such lithium batteries.
- Lightweight – high-capacity, 36V10Ah Lithium-Polymer batteries can weigh as little as 6 pounds!
- Offer a longer riding range – battery can travel up to 40 miles in pedal-assist mode (or 20 miles on throttle-only).
- Longer life span of about 800 charges or 3 years of virtually daily use
- More expensive – starting at about $1,500 to $3,000 and above
By understanding these basics, you can better use and protect the battery, extend the life of the battery, and make the electric bike last longer.